Monday, October 1, 2012

DIY: How to Cut Your Own Hair








As you can clearly see in the second picture from the top, I have big hair. Really big, curly, hair. Almost untamable at times. That picture is showing the innocent reader (you) how crazy my hair is after taking it out from it's famous "bun." I have prided myself in the fact that I haven't gotten a "mom" haircut since Blanche has been born. Basically, I think my face is to round to cut off my hair, and with one pregnancy down, and many more to come I'm sure... I feel like my hair is the one thing that keeps me feeling pretty when my weight is going up and down.

At the start of this summer I decided to go chemical free with my hair products. Actually we as a household have decided to go chemical free or "organic" in as many ways as possible. You really only have to read so many books or watch so many documentaries before you start to realize why it is necessary. Eventually, I am going to do a series of posts on how we are making these changes. For now, here is my herbal shampoo recipe.

Like I said in the post, I love my shampoo. I also love coconut oil. A lot of my mama friends use coconut oil on their babies. I tend to just put it on everything. Blanche always smells like she is going to the beach rather than to bed each night. So after taking my hair out of its nest of a bun tonight, I added coconut oil to try and give it a "drink." Most of the time even though my hair may look kind of big and messy and maybe even "cool" or something... its honestly just really really dry. So adding coconut oil and letting that sit for even just a few minutes can do wonders.

Then, time to shower and wash it out. I used my herbal shampoo which helped get a lot of the oil out, but didn't leave it dry. Then, I used the trick I have learned from my awesome neighbor via youtube. It always goes back to youtube. Okay maybe not. But this time it does. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-GAilMmCqQ

There were lots of these "how to" videos. But this girl is cute because she's British. So, for the second time I cut my hair all by myself! And it is even layered! I'm sure one day I will cut Blanche's hair like this too.

So there you have it. A visual description on how I go from in desperate need of TLC to freshly cut hair within 30 minutes or so. And its completely free!

2 comments:

  1. Can I come live with you? I want to try all of these things but I'm so bad at actually doing them. I did make my own laundry detergent (the no grate kind, b/c I'm lazy) and love it. I've decided that I want to live on a farm or at least with the Amish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your hair! - I'm sure you hear that a lot. :o) I sure wish I'd known this trick when I was younger & wore long hair.

    I've loved reading your blog too.

    ReplyDelete