Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Cousin Erin's Baby Shower
















The weekend before last our family went over to Houston for a baby shower. One of "the cousins" Erin was pregnant with her first. I use past tense because in the amount of time I could upload my photos, and get through a week, Erin decide to go ahead and go into labor. Or maybe it was the baby's idea. Her due date was December 16th, just a month ahead of me, but it turns out the dates were off, and she went into labor early, just as she had expected the whole pregnancy. Mother knows best. I wish my dates were off. Oh yeah, anyways, back to Erin.

I will say moving to Austin has had many benefits, and one of the biggest is how close we are to all of Andrew's family. I have written about "the cousins" and how much fun Andrews family is the last time we were all together, last Christmas. It has been fun to see pictures of them when they were little, and more and more of them getting married and starting to have babies. The first little babies are now toddlers and there are new ones here and others on the way. So much of the family was able to travel to Houston, and with us living in Austin it was way easier to travel just a couple of hours to see everyone.

Andrew happened to have two days off in a row, which hardly ever happens. I thought this meant he should come with us. He was able to visit and spend time with his sisters, and do Blanche's favorite "boom snap clap" for his niece Caroline. She is the one mesmerized in the first photo. I just love Caroline's little looks and eyes. Even if she doesn't smile at me there is something so sweet about her little face.

Erin's shower was beautiful. I am not hundred percent on who did what, but I know our cousin Ashleigh and her mom were the ones who had done so much of the beautiful decorations and food. Andrew's mom helped cook all morning, and well, I felt like I just showed up and ate a lot of the food. "The cousins" had all worked together to throw me a beautiful baby shower when I was pregnant with Blanche, so it was fun to see everyone working together to do the same for Erin.

I love the idea of a big family. Thats why even though some days I am so tired with just Blanche, I still say I want four kids. What I love about Andrew's family is that they are a big family that keeps getting bigger but they are so good about making time for each other. Andrew's mom's cousins even do the same thing. I bet five or six of her cousins were at my wedding and baby shower. It makes me not only feel loved but it can make even an outsider or newcomer to the family see that though there may be hard times or a share of drama, everyone continues to love and support one another. It has made me feel like I am just a cousin, from somewhere, not a girl who married in by any means. I truly had such a good time talking with everyone, and the eating too of course. Ashleigh's mom let me lick a spoon full of carmel. The things you do when you are pregnant. Or maybe the things you allow yourself to do.

As I already wrote, Erin had Ben earlier this week. I do know little has been posted from them on social media, so I won't steal her thunder. But I will say he is so adorable and chubby and cute.  At one point last weekend Erin asked me if I was still hungry after dinner. Her dad had made fish and salad for dinner. Great for your average person, but a girl needs more if you are eating for two. I told her I was full, but I had steak. (Uncle Reg is always awesome about making me something else due to me getting really sick off salmon last year, but not his, just so you know). Anyways, I had to smile seeing her look at the pantry and then have Matt go to buy some mac and cheese. I feel you girl. But what amazes me is how Erin was just walking around all weekend. Eating and being merry. And then seven days later has a 8lb 9oz baby. No wonder she was still hungry! I am always amazed at how awesome women really are. I told Andrew after having Blanche that if any true feminist has pushed out a baby she has nothing to prove. Sure, woman can go get a job and work along side a man, but that is nothing compared to creating, carrying, and birthing. I think after having gone through almost two pregnancies, I am even more amazed at how something can be wiggling and kicking inside my body one day, and then born an adorable little human the next. They are just little people from the very beginning.

I have probably rambled too long. This is what happens when a pregnant lady writes about another pregnant lady. I am so proud of my cousins Erin and Matt. So happy for the blessing they have been given. And I can't wait until next Christmas when my baby and their baby play together.

No comments:

Post a Comment