Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Finding the Fourth Home






Life has felt like a bit of a whirlwind lately. There were days this winter after Rosemary was born that  I felt like all we did was sit inside. Blanche watched Netflix, and I nursed Rosemary. In reality a lot was happening. Our family was getting use to being a new family of four. We were kind of just trying to keep our heads above the water.

Its funny that I started this first paragraph saying life has been a bit of a whirlwind. Because I started righting this post six days ago. And I am just now coming back to it. When I stop and think through everything that is going on right now I know there is a reason I feel so busy and tired. We are in the middle of trying to find a place to move. We gave our sixty day notice at our current apartment and need to be out after the first week of July. So many things just seem way more difficult in the city. I thought renting a house wouldn't be that big of a deal. I know in Siloam it seemed like you saw a sign, called the number, talked to the landlord and then rented it. Here we have dealt with multiple realtors, and we have been looking in what feels like a forty mile radius. There are lots of details and information that really is not that important to write out. It all just boils down to the fact that there is a reason so many people rent small apartments or duplexes here. We have been trying to find a house. Or a duplex. But we want these fews things: a garage (so I don't have to walk through a parking lot with two small children alone), a backyard, and three bedrooms, two baths. My brother is planning on moving down to Austin as well. And we are all going to live together for a year. We have finally gotten our applications in and are waiting to here the word on a house. If this house falls through I literally do not know where we are going to go. And this is in two to three weeks.

The girls are both napping at the same time right now. I feel like this hasn't happened in forever. I want to sleep, drink coffee, blog, clean my house. All right now. I am doing half. Drinking coffee and writing. I am getting to the point where this apartment seems a bit like a lost cause because we are leaving soon. And sometimes just taking a moment of time to myself helps me feel so much more grounded. With Blanche no longer napping regularly, most of my days end up with Blanche up around seven and Rosemary not down for the night until ten or eleven. And no real break in-between. Its only a season. I know Rosemary is entering that four month stage. That stage where she fully wakes up and becomes a real baby. She was going down around eight or nine each night and only nursing maybe once at night.

I am constantly reminded though how extremely lucky I am. I love my family, and I know that a busy and tiring life is not a bad one. I am trying to take one day at a time and appreciate the little things. These photos remind me to appreciate the little things. Blanche takes time to love life. One night I let her get out of bed to watch the storm with her daddy on the porch. And one afternoon I said yes to what seemed like an inconvenience at first. All I really did was fill each little snack container with snacks instead of putting it away with the rest of the dishes. Sometimes no just comes more naturally. I was cleaning the kitchen and Blanche saw her travel container for snacks. She begged for me to fill it with snacks. So I did. And it turned into a picnic outside and Blanche kept saying, "I'm so excited!"

Blanche asks every day if we are going to our new house now. When I first told her we were going to move she said she was sad because she had fun here. In our little 800 square foot apartment. With no garage or yard. What has felt like a bit of an inconvenience of a home to me is the only home she remembers. And Blanche loves this place for all of the right reasons. This is where her family lives. I hope I can be more like Blanche in living one day at a time. Finding the good in each place we stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment