Monday, February 25, 2013

(Another) Post about Deodorant





I'm sure not too many people take pictures and write about deodorant. If they do, I'm sure they don't post about it more than once. In the past, I posted about making stick deodorant here. I made some for Andrew, but left out the probiotics which may have been why it didn't work at all. I tried it as well and it didn't seem to work well. I wanted to go ahead and post the recipe that I do use and have found successful. To some, it may seem a little crazy to make your own deodorant, but this recipe is very similar to the stick variety but uses baking soda and leaves out the wax and butter that melts and then solidifies. This makes the process literally take 10 minutes.

I found the recipe here. I prefer this one because it uses arrowroot powder rather than cornstarch. I'd highly recommend this recipe if you ever have tenderness or sensitivity with the deodorant you are currently using.

Here is my recipe. I do what the online site suggests, but add vitamin E oil. I'm sure you can find all of these ingredients in either the organic section of your grocery store, or your local health food store. I've even copied the five steps, so its all right here! It does take a little getting use to. Its more like a lotion that you put on rather than rubbing a stick. But its so much better for your body, and I highly recommend this method.


  • 1/3 cup coconut oil (solid state)
  • 1/4 cup baking soda (aluminum-free)
  • 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
  • Essential oils (I use a 5-10 drops lavender or tea tree) 
  • A few drops Vitamin E oil

1. Mix the baking soda and arrowroot powder in a glass bowl.

2. Add the coconut oil (do not warm or melt it) and use a fork or pastry blender to thoroughly blend it into the dry ingredients.

3. Add 5-10 drops of your favorite essential oils and blend completely. (this step is optional, but lovely - my personal favorite combo is clove with a little sweet orange and cinnamon!) This is also when I add Vitamin E.

4. Add more coconut oil or arrowroot powder/baking soda if needed until the texture is about the same consistency as commercial deodorant.

5. Scoop the mixture into a small jar or container and store at room temperature. (Refrigeration may be required during summer months and warmer weather because the coconut oil will melt at 76 degrees.)

To apply, use your fingers to scoop out a pea-size amount of the deodorant and massage it into your armpits daily or as needed. Allow a minute or two for the deodorant to set before getting dressed.

*Remember, this is deodorant, not antiperspirant. It will not stop you from sweating, but you won't smell bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment